Saturday, 08 March 2014
- Church History Scholars Meet in Utah to Discuss the Global Reach of Mormonism (LDS Newsroom)
Experts on the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gathered in Utah for the two-day 8th annual Church History Symposium. The event, titled “The Worldwide Church: The Global Reach of Mormonism,” was held at Brigham Young University in Provo and at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, Thursday-Friday, 6-7 March 2014.
- LDS leader tells Mormons to embrace their history, keep their faith (Salt Lake Tribune - Utah)
Mormons shouldn’t shy away from their religion’s history, but neither should they be quick to discard their faith if what they learn appears inconsistent with LDS teachings, a member of the church’s governing First Presidency said at a symposium Friday.
- LDS Church News articles for the week
LDS Church News articles for the week.
- Members Help with Ice Storm Cleanup in Georgia (Church News and Events)
Over 500 Latter-day Saints and community members, young and old, joined forces the third week of February and broke out the chain saws to provide relief to nearly 400 elderly people and homeowners with disabilities.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to perform ‘Messiah’ during Easter season (Salt Lake Tribune - Utah)
Fans of Handel’s "Messiah" will shout "hallelujah" to this news:
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square will perform, possibly for the first time, the legendary oratorio in its entirety this Easter season.
- 6 big news stories about the Church in 2014 (BYU Universe)
The LDS Church and its members got a lot of attention in the first couple months of 2014. Here are six big stories that got national attention.
- Why Religion Matters: Making Selves Out of Others (LDS Newsroom)
Why do people belong to religions? Some inherit a religion at birth while others may convert to one. But at one point or another people make a conscious decision whether to participate in their religious communities. In fact, the root word for religion is the Latin “religare,” which means to reconnect or bind. In an age that magnifies personal freedom, what could sound less attractive than “binding” oneself to the quirks and idiosyncrasies of a large group of people?
- From Mormon Women, a Flood of Requests and Questions on Their Role in the Church (NY Times - New York)
Last year, when Kristy Money was planning a baby-naming ceremony in her Mormon congregation, she asked if she could hold her newborn during the ceremony, sitting or standing inside the circle of men who would bless her daughter.
- LDS anti-bullying video going viral (Daily Herald - Utah)
Local teenagers along the Wasatch Front are sharing the message that bullying is not OK. They are part of an LDS Church video, based on a talk given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency of the Church in April of 2012.
- Mormon church completes huge buy of land – now owns 2 percent of Florida land (Orlando Sentinel - Florida)
The Mormon church through its subsidiaries now owns nearly 2 percent of Florida with the completion Thursday of a $562 million purchase of more than 382,000 acres in North Florida's Panhandle region.
- Letter: Good Samaritan a great example of kindness in the world (NJ.com - New Jersey)
When I attempted to give him something for his help, he refused any payment. He said that he was of the Mormon faith and quoted Scripture regarding helping others without recompense.
Unfortunately, I did not get this gentleman’s name. He was a truly Good Samaritan and what an example of goodness in the world today. My brother and I felt so blessed.
- Eels fans will be hoping Will Hopoate can have a positive influence on their side (News.com - Australia)
Tonight, Parramatta fans hope his influence will be just as profound.
At 6.30pm, Hopoate will make his NRL comeback by slotting into the right centre position with the Eels, who launch their 2014 season against the New Zealand Warriors at Pirtek Stadium.
- Parker: I Don't Know Yet (Duke Basketball Report - North Carolina)
Quite intentionally we've really stayed away from Jabari Parker draft speculation. Who needs to pile on? There's always time for that after the season.
33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
My brothers and sisters, we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness—be they family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers. We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us."
President Thomas S. Monson